Who has insomnia?
Did you know that both almonds and broccoli are excellent sources of magnesium and calcium? So if you have insomnia, this is good for you to try. It promotes deeper sleep and so you wake refreshed!
A 100g of Broccoli has 21mg magnesium. And an ounce of almond has 80mg magnesium. *
I just got this recipe from the book I bought at the airport when I travelled to HongKong. The title of the book is “Healing Soups” that caught my eyes while roaming around the bookstore.
This is one of my favorites so I thought it’s worth sharing.
1 onion, roughly chopped
500g broccoli, cut into florets, stems sliced
40g ground almonds
900ml chicken or vegetable stock (homemade)
300ml milk (I use almond milk)
Salt and pepper to taste
6 tbsp natural Yoghurt
3 tbsp flaked almonds
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and fry gently for 5 minutes until just beginning to soften.
- Stir in the broccoli until cognates in the butter then add the ground almonds, stock and a little salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil then cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the broccoli is just tender and still bright green.
- Blend the soup until finely speckled with green and stir in the milk.
- Reheat the soup then taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Heat the 15g butter in frying pan, add the flake almonds and fry for a few minutes, stirring until golden.
- Put into your soup bowl. And there you go, it’s time to taste and enjoy!
You can add some herbs like parsley or coriander and a tablespoon of natural yoghurt too.
So simple, quick and easy! Please feel free to write your suggestions or recommendations in the comment below.